Thursday, September 4, 2008

Countdown to Halloween

I forced myself to do this yesterday, sad that I have to make meself do things but once I get started I'm happy I did it.

I pulled out my Halloween stash and got busy - covered a bunch of matchboxes and then had to figure out what I wanted for the top. After cutting out a ragged sign I covered it with black paint & then applied a thick layer of Distress Crackle paint (dried marigold) and let it dry overnight. This morning I sponged Dried Marigold distress ink over the top to darken the crackle paint.


I'm going to make a Christmas countdown so I used a strip of magnetic tape across the back of the Halloween topper to switch out the toppers, maybe I'll do a Thanksgiving if I'm ambitious enough. All that I would need to store is the boxes and toppers together in a plastic bin.


These are the numbers I decided on, just stamped them on misc. sticker labels. After I finish the numbers than I'll apply little embellishments to the front of the boxes - stickers, buttons, charms and such.


This project took about 4 hours total, the longest time was waiting for the crackle paint to dry. I tried to keep within one manufacturer but I had to find a big icon for the topper. So when I'm working on my christmas calendar, I'll shop specifically for the calendar. I spent way to much time digging through my Halloween bin looking for that perfect item.

1 comment:

Zoa said...

ok Stacey- I am hooked! I am going to make one of these! I just love it. Soooo where do you get the match boxes? Can you buy them plain at a craft store??? Do I need to know anything to get started? thanks for the great inspiration!