Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The boy gave me a fright.

Yesterday I recieved a call from h's school - he had a headache and was crying. School was letting out in 15mins so I knew he was not doing well if school called that close to ending.

The boys did a dental appointment (reg. check-up) at 2.30 or so I thought. I asked H if he was up to going to the dentist - he said yes. 20 minutes later we're at the dentist office and he goes down hill fast. I reschedule and carry the boy out to the car, the whole time Nico is going on about 'dentist mommy, dentist!" Nico didn't not understand what was really going on or really cared, he just wanted to get something out of the treasure box.

We get home, I unload everyone and put H in my bed with all the shades drawn tight. I did give him so Motrin when i picked him up at school, I figured it would have kick in by now. He falls asleep but was very restless and whined/whimpered for an 90 minutes. He wakes up and asks for some water, about 30mins later he wakes up screaming -my back mommy it hurts. I immediately think meningitis and call Joe to come home. I then call the pedi, explain what's going on and they have me immediately come in to see the NP. Luckily, the office is less than a mile from the house.

Within 5 mins of being in the office they call us back. H is just freaking out now and calling out for the doctor. I didn't know what to do other than hug him and talk to him. He was getting himself upset which made the headache worse. Joe showed up about 5mins later and dealt with crazybaby nico.

The nurse came in and had H do some knee-crunches (only way to describe it) to check his coordination and had him hang his head off the edge of the table. She did some other physical stuff but I can't remember exactly. She ruled out meningitis since he was not screaming out in pain when his neck was bent backwards. He was not running a fever either. Since the headache come on suddenly she thinks it was a migraine = we were relieved that it was not meningitis but dang it no child should have to deal with a migraine.

We went home and h. was down for the night or so I thought. It was DQ nite for the school and he 'Had to go see his teacher'. I took him up there for some ice cream since ice cream usually helps with my migraines (the cold). He was fine but on the way home he threw up, I turned around and he said he didn't know he was going to frow up sorry mom. We arrived at the house a few minutes later, I took the boys in for a shower and joe cleaned out the car and carseat.

Within 5 minutes of being home, h said 'my headache gone, mom my headache gone'. Definitely sounded/acted like a migraine.

This morning he comes into the bedroom asking to go to school, sure little bud you can go.

No comments: